Monday 17 May 2010

Warding off Sewing Machine Withdrawal Symptoms

Well, I am about to embark on my first week away from my Pfaff and I'm going to miss her :-P

Luckily, I spotted this: http://www.texasfreckles.com/2010/05/hexagon-thoughts-week-six-piecing-in.html



and thought, "I know!  I can sew English paper pieced hexagons while I am on holiday!"  Plus, it will also give me a nice, portable hand sewing project to fit in at odd times of the day and when waiting for the boys at various sporting activities.

I have made a few Grandmother's Flower Garden arrangements before, but that kind of fell by the wayside a bit...I think it was just a bit toooo traditional for me :-).  I love the idea of making a random charm quilt with the hexies.  With 1,173 1-inch hexagons required for a lap size quilt, it may not be a 'true' charm quilt unless I can get swapping with people, but I will try to make it as random and colourful as possible.  The only criteria for the fabrics I choose, is that they must not be too "shy and retiring" ie no very quiet neutrals.

I made a start on a few at the sports centre this week while Gman had his track session, and have cut out more paper pieces and squares of fabric ready to go.  Woohoo!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like the beginning of a great project! You're right, hexies are the perfect on-the-go project. I've got mine with me all the time!

    I can't wait to see your quilt grow; I love the fun colors and patterns you have so far!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please don't be shy :-)