Tuesday 29 December 2009

First Step onto Jacob's Ladder

As I said in this post, I am planning to make a Jacob's Ladder scrap quilt, with the pattern taken from Katharine Guerrier's Scrap Quilt Sensation book.  The blocks are made up of two four patch units and two half square triangle units, with fabrics alternating between dark and light/bright values.

Here's some of the first few four patch blocks I have made:

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Four patch units for Jacob's Ladder Quilt"]Jacob's Ladder[/caption]

I have, for the first time, tried my hand at chain piecing - and wow, it does save time!  I whipped up a load more four patch units in half the time, with less thread used and fewer stray ends to clip.  Marvellous.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="Chain pieced patches ready to cut apart"]Chain pieced patchwork[/caption]

For the triangles, I made these using this quick piecing method.  Here's a couple, ready for cutting along the drawn line:



Next step is to sew some of the units together to make the pieced blocks.  I need 49 full blocks, plus 28 half blocks in all!  Not far to go then :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please don't be shy :-)