I started off by piecing a mini liberated log cabin block from which I cut my basket shape, then cut a bias strip for the handle. I found it really quite tricky to get the handle to lie flat so not sure if I did it quite right, or if I'm just a bit ham fisted!! Once pieced I started adding some hand stitching. As my stitching invariably means a scruffy backside (!) I have done this just through the front and the wadding and will add the backing later, perhaps ditch quilting around the basket through all three layers. I am really loving the kantha-style quilting. I have been desperate to try it since getting this book from a show last year and felt this was a perfect piece to try it out on (ie not too big/daunting). It really has lent a wonderful textural element.
If you're wondering about the strange pink crosses, then all will be explained when I finish the quiltlet and explain the "concept" behind my choices :-)
Next month's technique will be using a woven base, and March's is to be applique. I have several ideas running through my head for these already...this is going to be such a fun project!